Another gold scum in Nairobi:British citizen falls prey


A man has been charged with obtaining Sh 2 million from a British Citizen for fake gold.

Benjamin Onyango Oguok is accused of obtaining the money from businessman Sam Kazal by falsely pretending that he was in a position to sell to him three kilograms of gold.

Kazal is the director of Edge Group limited based in Dubai. The company deals in gold and precious stones.

Oguok is alleged to have committed the offence on 29th March 2019 at Barclays Bank, Queensway branch in Nairobi, with intent to defraud.

He denied the charges before Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi and was granted a cash bail of Sh 500,000.

The case will be mentioned on 23rd April and will be heard on 13th May 2019.

The complainant allegedly came to Kenya looking for gold suppliers and to establish a company.

Beginning of fraud

He met the alleged supplier through a friend who was introduced to him by a certain lady.

They allegedly came to agree to trade 1kg of gold at 29,500 USD.

They were taken to a refinery and were told to pay sh 30,000 for smelting. He gave the money to the man who appeared to be running the refinery and smelting was done in their presence.

The same was allegedly taken to the ministry of mining and it was 98.9% gold.

It is alleged that Oguok wanted cash of USD 88,500.

The Barclays bank manager allegedly tried to convince him to make bank transfer. He agreed and the manager said they should give him USD 20,000 in an envelop.

It is further alleged that while inside the bank, in the presence if the manager, Kazak gave Oguok the 20,000. He then initiated transfer of 68,500 USD to an account which the accused person gave him gave him.

Later, the accused allegedly started calling him frequently sounding strange and suspicious.

This made the complainant to take the gold bars to the ministry of mining for retest and the test indicated that they were actually copper and not gold.

He allegedly went back to the bank and tricked Oguok that the manager agreed to give out cash. After about two minutes, he came to the bank, police were called and he was arrested.