Marsabit Sheikh wants to remain in prison even after acquittal of terrorism charges

Sheikh Guyo Gorsa at Milimani Law Courts at a past date. Photo/Suek

A Marsabit Sheikh who is facing terrorism charges wants to remain in custody even if he will be acquitted.

Sheikh Guyo Gorsa told Chief Magistrate Wendy Kagendo that he prefers to remain in prison because he fears for his life.

The through lawyer John Khaminwa, the Sheikh claimed that people who have been acquitted over terrorism charges have either been abducted, killed or they dissappear upon release.

“From those incidents, I want assurance from the state that I’ll be safe if acquitted and nothing will happen to me,” Gorsa said.

The accused told the court that he has written a two page letter to the Interior Cabinet Secretary Dr. Fred Mating’i seeking to be assured of the same.

However, he said the response was not satisfactory. 

He requested the court to summon the Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti to appear in court and assure him of his safety once acquitted.


The Sheikh also requested that should he be acquitted, he should be allocated officers to escort him to his mother land. The court should also record the names of the said officers.

Gorsa is accused that on or before 13th January 2018 at Madrassa within Marsabit County, he was found being a member of a terrorist group namely Al-Shabaab.

Guyo was also charged with collection of information. 

According to the charge sheet, on 13th January 2018 at the same place, he was found in possession of an X-TIGI mobile phone with a micro SD card containing 8 videos for use in commission of a terrorist act.

The Sheikh was further charged with eight counts of being in possession of articles connected with commission of a terrorist act.

The prosecution objected to the release of the Sheikh Gorsa on bail on grounds that there was a planned attack of the court premises when he was to appear in court for plea taking.

The court heard that a motor vehicle KBM 200D which was impounded was fitted with explosives and was headed to launch an attack at the Milimani Law Courts Chief Magistrate’s court on 16th February 2018.

“This is the day the accused was scheduled to appear before the same court for purposes of pleading to the charges and the attack was meant to illegally free the suspect from lawful custody,” the state submitted.