Officers in child serial killer Masten Wanjala’s jail break released on bail

Masten Milimu Wanjala

Three police officers arrested after a self-proclaimed murder suspect Masten Milimu Wanjala escaped from police cells hav ebeen released on a cash bail of Sh 100,000 each.

Inspector Philip Mbithi, corporal Kamakia Mutuma  Boniface and Precious Mwende Mwinzi were in charge of the suspect who has since been killed by members of the public after they spotted him ata village in Bungoma county.

Senior Resident Magistrate Jane Kamau heard that the investigating officer Chief Inspector Wanga Masake wanted to have the trio detained for 14 more days to allow him to complete investigations on how the suspect escaped from custody under their watch. 

However, their lawyers Danstan Omari and Shadrack Wambui opposed the application stating that the Director of Criminal Investigation had recommended that his clients be charged  but the DPP refused to sign the charge sheet. 

“We plead with the court to release the suspect on bail or bond and impose conditions and the suspect will comply with the court orders imposed against them,” submitted Omari. 

The lawyer told the court not to allow itself to be dragged into the wars between Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti and Director of Public Prosecution Noordin Haji. 

According to the officers, at the time Wanjala escaped, there were no lights at the police station. They are accused of neglecting to prevent escape of self-proclaimed serial murder suspect Masten Mulimu Wanjala from Jogoo road police station.

According to the investigating officer, the officers may interfere with the investigations if they are allowed to be at their work station.

Wanjala is alleged to have confessed to killing over 10 boys between 2019 and 2020 and at times drinking the blood of some of his victims.

Wanjala was set to be arraigned at the Makadara Law Court on 13th October to answer to 13 counts of murder charges. However, according to the officers, he disappeared into thin air a day before his arraignment. This contradicts reports that Wanjala disappeared a week ago as he is alleged to have visited his maternal grandmother briefly last week before he vanished again leaving her in shock.

It is suspected that the officers covered up his disappearance and only made it public when they realised his arraignment day was close yet they had not rearrested him.